Challenge: write a reference counted slice that works as much as possible like a built-in slice

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Nov 9 01:22:26 UTC 2021

On 09/11/2021 2:14 PM, tsbockman wrote:
> What you seem to be asking for instead is a way to trick the type system
> into agreeing that mutating a reference count doesn't actually mutate
> anything, which is nonsense. If that's really necessary for some reason,
> it needs to be special cased into the language spec, like how `pure`
> explicitly permits memory allocation.

Imagine saying to someone:

Yes you have made this struct immutable.

Yes you have set this bit of memory containing that immutable struct to
read only.

Yes you ended up with a crashed program because that immutable struct
went ahead and tried to write to that read only memory.

And yes, I understand that you couldn't have known that a field that you
didn't write the implementation of used an escape hatch to write to
const data.

It doesn't make sense.