Why is D unpopular?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Nov 9 09:54:06 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 08:32:07 UTC, arco wrote:

> Rust also started as a one man show (Graydon Hoare). Mozilla
> initially supported it as a research project, not as a large
> investment, and its resources are limited anyway compared to
> the likes of Google. The comparison holds in my opinion, it's
> what came after that made the difference.

This is an interesting interpretation of history. By the end of
2014, the Rust core team had eight members, at least seven of
whom were hired by Mozilla to work on getting the language in
order for the 1.0 release:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141225072631/https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/wiki/Note-core-team

But that understates the funding. They had the Servo team, many
of whom used paid hours to work on Rust*, and paid interns.

\* Even when these were not direct contributions to the language,
being paid to work on Servo meant they were paid to test the
language, find bugs, and identify areas needing improvement.