Why is D unpopular?

arco qva6y4sqi at relay.firefox.com
Tue Nov 9 11:08:17 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:48:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 10:32:57 UTC, arco wrote:
>> In other words, instead of dismissing comparisons between
>> Dlang and Rust as somehow unfair because Rust has a lot more
>> resources, a more interesting question is IMO why and how did
>> Rust attract those resources and which lessons can be learnt
>> from it.
>
> Walter is unlikely to hand over D to a commercial entity, which
> I think most D users are happy with. That would be a completely
> different project.
>
> Rust follows the same path as Swift and JavaScript. Person
> affiliated with an organization creates a language. The person
> hands over decision making to the organization, which in turn
> evolves it further into a "commercial" commodity.

Rust is not a commercial entity. It's governed by the Rust
Foundation which is non-profit (and also very recent), but it
remains a community project open to anyone who wants to get
involved. Again, it's not very different from D in that regard.