Is importC ready?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 04:13:44 UTC 2021

On 11/11/21 10:29 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 8:58 AM, bachmeier wrote:
>> - The error messages tell you nothing. The only solution is to go
>> through the entire (large) preprocessed C file and identify every
>> problem, with no help from the compiler. The error message that caused
>> me to file the bug was `illegal combination of type specifiers`. After
>> more than an hour of working on it, I had finally commented out enough
>> lines to make the error messages go away.
>
> Was the file/line number given for the error incorrect?

While you are thinking about this, one thing I brought up in [another
thread](https://forum.dlang.org/post/smdtv6$1rjc$1@digitalmars.com), is
that the preprocessor automatically adds file/line information to the
preprocessed file. That is important so you can trace the error back to
the original file.

But for this purpose, you do have a preprocessed file, which may have
code that either ImportC cannot deal with or where the preprocessed file
seemingly has been badly formed. Having to find the real line to
diagnose in the real file is not that easy when the error messages are
all based on the file/line rewrite tokens.

It would be nice for the compiler to at least have an option to show
"true" file/line numbers. Maybe a directive to ignore all file/line
rewrite tokens.

-Steve