libc (glibc and others) runtime independance for Dlang programms. - is this possible?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Nov 12 11:56:04 UTC 2021

On Friday, 12 November 2021 at 09:55:24 UTC, Alexey wrote:
> like in Go

I find this a good question and I don't really understand the
point of being dependent on libc, especially when D is more than
able to cover the functionality of libc completely of its own.

However, there might be situations you want it, like using
malloc/free from libc rather than the Druntime allocator. This
should be a non-default option though.

Independence gives D more control over its environment. The
disadvantage is that the D project needs to do more, for example
right now D is piggy backing on libc initialization (crt0) and if
we are not using libc for that the D projects need to write
platform dependent initialization which requires more work.

The goal for D should be as much libc independence as possible.
While it require a lot of work, this approach can be gradual.