Is importC ready?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Nov 12 14:02:44 UTC 2021

On Friday, 12 November 2021 at 03:29:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 8:58 AM, bachmeier wrote:
>> - The error messages tell you nothing. The only solution is to
>> go through the entire (large) preprocessed C file and identify
>> every problem, with no help from the compiler. The error
>> message that caused me to file the bug was `illegal
>> combination of type specifiers`. After more than an hour of
>> working on it, I had finally commented out enough lines to
>> make the error messages go away.
>
> Was the file/line number given for the error incorrect?
>
> I agree, though, that the error messages are inadequate. This
> first iteration of ImportC has a priority of getting correct
> code to compile correctly. Error messages are admittedly mostly
> placeholders. The important thing is the file/line being
> correct.

The error messages are of this form:

```
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/mathcalls.h(316): Error:
illegal combination of type specifiers
/usr/include/string.h(43): Error: found `__dest` when expecting
`,`
```

I was only able to identify the offending lines by repeatedly
commenting and uncommenting code.