What programming tools do you usually use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Nov 14 02:04:04 UTC 2021

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 11:58:22PM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 November 2021 at 22:13:55 UTC, Vinod K Chandran wrote:
> >
> > Try ScintillsNet. You can have the luxury of syntax coloring.
>
> grr!! I really hate syntax coloring.. or anything, that does anything,
> to my code... whatsoever. These kinds of features are all competing
> for my attention, and I find it really annoying.

Wow. I'm surprised that I'm not the only one here who hates syntax
highlighting. :-D

> That's (yet another reason) why I wrote my own IDE.

I just use Vim. ;-)  Linux is my IDE. :-P

> Actually I do syntax color one thing, and one thing only...
>
> "main("
>
>  .. the background of that text is highlighted in bright green, so I
>  know straight away where main function is.
[...]

I don't even need that, I just type `/main` and it takes me right there.
:-D  No highlighting necessary, I can code over ssh to a remote host.
Trying to do that with an IDE is ... painfully slow, among other painful
things.

Recently, our IT department hired a bug-fix engineer. He used to work for Volkswagen.