Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 03:19:37 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:27:25 UTC, Dr Machine Code
wrote:
> It got [asked on
> reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/q74bzr/why_is_d_unpopular/) sub but for those that aren't active too, I'd like you opinions. Please don't get me wrong, I also love D, I've used it everywhere I can and I'd say it's my favourite language (yes I have one...) but I'm as as the reddit's OP, trying to understand why it's unpopular. Rust and Go seeming to be getting more and more users. I think it's due to large ecosystem and the big corporations with deep pockets that pushes them. But I'd like to know you all opinions

One of the creators of Go, said, and I quote "you can actually
write quite nice code in C++" https://youtu.be/sln-gJaURzk?t=868

"... if you write in a subset of it..."

Another interesting comment during the few minutes of that video,
where they were discussing C++, was one a comment about being
able to better reason about the code (in Go) vs C++.

I wonder if that is why C++ is becoming much less popular -
despite it being everywhere - cause it's soooo hard to reason
about the code in C++ (vs Go, is their argument) - even more so
for newcomers.

My 'first point' being, will being able to 'reason about the
code', be (or is it already) a reason why D won't ever become
'popular'?

Is there an equivalent 'subset' in D, where 'you can actually
write quite nice code'?

Also, I found an interesting part of this video relevent too,
where 'Dave' basically has a go at Herb, for trying to
'rephrasing' user complaints about C++ being to complex. Herb's
argument is that we're making it simpler (by adding to it).
Dave's argument is, not your NOT -
https://youtu.be/raB_289NxBk?t=5486

My 'second point' being, has D already become to complex? And is
there any way to make it simpler, other than 'adding to it'?

I personally do not like simple. To me, that equates to
restricted. But I doubt most are like me, hence why D may never,
ever, become 'popular'.

I'd welcome comments that respond to my 'first point' and my
'second point'.