Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Nov 16 02:14:22 UTC 2021

On 15.11.21 09:01, Arjan wrote:

>> I started this:
>> https://github.com/tgehr/DIPs/blob/tuple-syntax/DIPs/DIP1xxx-tg.md
>> https://github.com/tgehr/dmd/commits/tuple-syntax
>>
>> Unfortunately, I was too busy at the time to finish the
>> implementation, and I am not fully satisfied with the proposal.
>> Probably I'd want to add at least static opIndex and static opSlice to
>> it. Another issue is that it slightly expands `alias this` and I am
>> not sure whether that's a direction Walter is willing to invest in at
>> this point.
>
> Just WOW.
>
> What would be needed to get you working on this again?

Some reassurance that it won't be shot down for stupid reasons would go
a long way. For `static foreach`, the desired semantics were clear to
Walter and Andrei from the start and they really wanted that feature in
DMD, so that the DIP process went pretty smoothly. I am not feeling any
similar excitement for tuples, even though it's the most wanted feature
among forum readers according to the state of D 2018 survey... I just
don't have the time and energy required for week-long forum debates
anymore.