Future of memory management in D

Rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Tue Nov 16 18:17:29 UTC 2021

At least from my point of view, it seems that recently D made a
shift from a general purpose language to a C successor, hence the
last efforts to improve betterC and C interop, neglecting other
areas of the language.

By other areas I mean half baked language built-ins or oop
support which failed to evolve at least to keep the pace with the
  languages from where D took inspiration initially (e.g. Java and
its successors).

In this new light, even I am not bothered by, I must admit that
the garbage collector became something that doesn't fit in.

Now, without a gc, more than half of the language risks to become
unusable and that's why I ask myself how do you see the future of
the memory management in D?

For library development it is not necessary a big deal since the
allocator pattern can be implemented for each operation that
needs to allocate.

But, for the rest of the features which are part of the core
language (e.g. arrays, classes, exceptions) what memory model do
you consider that will fit in? Do you think that compiler
supported ARC can be accepted as a deterministic memory model by
everyone? Or memory ownership and flow analysis are better?

Not assuming a standard memory model can be a mistake, the C
crowd will always complain that they cannot use feature X, others
will complain that they cannot use feature Y because it is not
finished or its semantics are stuck in 2000's.