Future of memory management in D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Nov 16 22:38:13 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 18:17:29 UTC, Rumbu wrote:

> Now, without a gc, more than half of the language risks to
> become unusable and that's why I ask myself how do you see the
> future of the memory management in D?
>
> Not assuming a standard memory model can be a mistake, the C
> crowd will always complain that they cannot use feature X,
> others will complain that they cannot use feature Y because it
> is not finished or its semantics are stuck in 2000's.

The Achilles heel of D and its memory management was never the GC
itself or GC/not GC. It was that D didn't separate raw pointers
from managed pointers as different types. If D had done that, it
would have many more options.

This borrow checker implementation in D, I'm not sure what the
purpose is and I don't have the whole picture either.