My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Nov 16 23:55:03 UTC 2021

On 16.11.21 22:00, Robert Schadek wrote:
> # A Long Term Vision for the D programming language
>
> D -- The best programming language!
>
> I imagine a DConf where you guys yell at me, not because we disagree,
> but because I'm old and forgot my hearing aid.
>
> This is what I think needs to be done to get us there.
>
> ## GitHub / Organisation
>
> Github has an okay api, I bet we can replicate 99% of the features that are
> missing with very little code executed by some bots.

Why not start by synching github issues into bugzilla using those bots?

> And of course, laying out new directions and goal for the
> language and library.
> Not short term but long term e.g. ~5 years.
> Only after that work is done comes the developing.
> Having more development time left would be the measure of success for the
> leadership side.

Walter's main priority nowadays seems to be @safe memory management
without GC and C/C++ interoperability.
Andrei's current main priority seems to be more specifically @safe
reference counting.

That's why Walter and Andrei want things to be @safe.

> To summarize, GC and GC only.

See above. It does not seem to me like that aligns well with the goals
of W&A.

> ## Leadership
>
> I'm writing this section as one of the last.
> This is maybe one of the most important parts, but also the hardest
> to validate.
> When reading the forum, or the github PR's I get the feeling that people
> think
> that D is a consensus driven, meritocracy.
> That is not the case, and that is okay.

(Earlier you noted there is a low number of contributors.)

> D 27:
>
> * Compiler daemon thing.
>
> The work on the compiler daemon thing, will have to start before 2025.

Even if there was a consensus on that, you already noted that it does
not matter. This requires massive refactoring of the DMD code base.