My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Robert Schadek rburners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:18:21 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 23:55:03 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Why not start by synching github issues into bugzilla using
> those bots?

there is already a tool
https://github.com/wilzbach/bugzilla-migration/blob/master/bugzilla2github.py

that is was written in python, I consider vindication for my
claims in the post.

> Walter's main priority nowadays seems to be @safe memory
> management without GC and C/C++ interoperability.
> Andrei's current main priority seems to be more specifically
> @safe reference counting.

People can change their mind.

> That's why Walter and Andrei want things to be @safe.

As said, that is to little, safe by default with GC only.
If you want to shoot your foot, you must be required to write
*system*.

>> To summarize, GC and GC only.
>
> See above. It does not seem to me like that aligns well with
> the goals of W&A.

People can change their mind.

>> ## Leadership
>>
>> I'm writing this section as one of the last.
>> This is maybe one of the most important parts, but also the
>> hardest
>> to validate.
>> When reading the forum, or the github PR's I get the feeling
>> that people think
>> that D is a consensus driven, meritocracy.
>> That is not the case, and that is okay.
>
> (Earlier you noted there is a low number of contributors.)

I don't see any contradiction in these two statements.
Please elaborate.

> Even if there was a consensus on that, you already noted that
> it does not matter. This requires massive refactoring of the
> DMD code base.

It requires a rewrite, so?