Future of memory management in D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Wed Nov 17 10:59:19 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 02:10:02 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

> I'm confused by this because it seems as if the managed C++
> iterations from Microsoft do not have much traction. What is
> the benefit of different types for GC/non-GC pointers?

Managed C++ is now named C++/CLI and it is probably still there
if you want to use it. Not many use C++/CLI and I suspect that
people simply use C# instead as it is a much better alternative
for most cases.

The benefit of a special type for managed pointers is that you
can change the implementation of the GC fairly easily as well as
incorporate metadata under the hood. Tracing GC is not suitable
for low latency programs/embedded, but reference counting can be
a viable alternative for the low latency programs.