My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Nov 17 17:48:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 07:54:26AM +0000, SealabJaster via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> And I believe this ties into his "Let's not aim for perfect" angle,
> which I agree with.
>
> If anything, this thread simply shows yet again the extreme divide in
> D's userbase.
[...]
> D - the language of endless bickering and lack of cohesive action.
>
> Still absolutely love the language though, but we really need to get
> ourselves together at some point, because we're stuck in an endless
> loop of trying to be everything yet nothing.

Absolutely.  This is D suffering from its age-old problem of letting the
perfect be the enemy of the good.  We want perfection but in the process
we pushed away the good that could have helped move things along.  This
is neatly summed up in Andrei's classic post on Great Work vs. Good
Work:

	https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7u6g1$94p$1@digitalmars.com

I don't necessarily disagree with his stance (in fact I largely agree
with it in principle), but the result of this kind of attitude is that
when Great Work is nowhere in sight (perhaps, just perhaps, because a
problem is actually tough? -- and no one is smart enough to come up with
a revolutionary solution?), then all progress grinds to a halt.

Живёшь только однажды.