Future of memory management in D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:26:43 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 18:47:35 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 18:09:56 UTC, Zoadian wrote:
>> I 100% agree with this. There are more important things that
>> need improvement. GC and no-GC work well enough in D
>> (Exceptions are the only thing that needs a bit of extra work
>> with @nogc).
>
> Yes, we need to focus on the bigger picture

Well, the bigger picture is that D needs solid compiler-backed
memory management and a solid memory model, including adjustments
to shared.

What can be more important than that for a system level
programming language?

Continuing with inventing homegrown ad-hoc solutions is basically
free advertising for competing languages that has put in the work
to get something consistent out-of-the-box.

I don't know Rust much and have absolutely no preference for it,
but if I had to write a WASM module for a commercial project I
probably would have given Rust a shot. As it looks like it might
be the *cheapest* manageable option.

And NO, I don't want to run a GC in WASM.