My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:39:04 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 18:57:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 17:48:05 UTC, H. S. Teoh
> wrote:
>> I don't necessarily disagree with his stance (in fact I
>> largely agree with it in principle), but the result of this
>> kind of attitude is that when Great Work is nowhere in sight
>> (perhaps, just perhaps, because a problem is actually tough?
>> -- and no one is smart enough to come up with a revolutionary
>> solution?), then all progress grinds to a halt.
>
> I am getting Winnie the Pooh vibes from this.
>
> The key to finding a solution is understanding the problem and
> the context. If you don't, you won't find a solution, you will
> just create more problems. Has nothing to do with "Good Work".
> It is a sign of "Poor Work". Don't mix those two terms!

Andrei called it "good work" because he meant stuff that is bad
enough to draw a lot of effort to review, but not so bad that it
could be just dismissed without appearing rude. "Bad" or "poor"
would be mean the "obviousy not worth it" work.

> If understanding the problem is difficult, reduce the problem,
> reduce the scope of what you try to achieve. Learn from others.
> So what can we learn from other system level programming
> languages? No GC! Ok, remove the GC. Now the scope has been
> reduced and we can more easily find an acceptable solution for
> a system level programming language.
>
> That is basically a consequence of your position, but obviously
> not what you meant…

Being both GC and NoGC is kind of our unique selling point. There
would have to be a very strong case before it'd be wise to
discard one or the other from the language.