My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:44:51 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 20:36:10 UTC, JN wrote:
> targeting C programmers more. I've been looking at Zig lately,
> and I have to say I think it's a very interesting language. It
> has optional standard library and bring-your-own-allocator
> memory management design, which is very tempting for C folks
> who like to manage their own memory.

Good support for "runtimeless" is generally viewed as a
requirement for a language to be considered a true system level
programming language. I wish someone would do a Zig vs D
comparison in the forums as it didn't look all that impressive to
me, but I could be wrong.

You also have this for WASM (I know absolutely nothing about it):

https://github.com/AssemblyScript/assemblyscript

One issue with WASM is that you cannot take the address of items
on the stack (IIRC) so you have to create an inefficient
shadow-stack if the language expects that you can do it. So,
really, a restricted D subset tailored to WASM could be better
for those who want to use WASM for performance reasons (like
writing a game).