Future of memory management in D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:48:43 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 22:36:51 UTC, Greg Strong wrote:
> I'm using D to build a chess variant engine where there are
> recursive functions that call each other a million times a
> second.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick D for this task? Sounds like
it is well suited for a high level language with high level
optimization capabilities.

> D is great at letting you go the direction you want.  The
> hysterical no-gc crowd should find another language.  That
> being said, reducing GC usage in phobos is a worth goal...

The *hysterical* no-gc crowd already found another language.

The low latency gc crowd also found another language.

A high latency gc-language is not something anyone actively looks
for. That has to be fixed to fix the manpower-issue.