Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:05:12 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 09:38:09 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 08:44:57 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 13:18:54 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:

Thanks for your detailed reply! It provides a useful counterpoint.

> I once said to a colleague that the process of learning D
> consists almost entirely, by time, of what *not* to do - what
> sort of things the language is happy about, what it only lets
> you get away with grudgingly, and what it will punish you for.
> Though some of the most severe gotchas have gotten fixed, I
> stand by this still.

This is exactly what I mean by not wanting to learn workarounds.
I find battling with 'suprising' behaviour and/or bugs in any
development environment extremely frustrating these days. For
developers coming fresh to D they have to manage to break through
this pain barrier to get to the point of productivity. It's a
personal thing of mine but I've just had enough of this
particular fight. I just want it to work without needing to pull
out what remains of my hair while I learn the foibles and
failings of the tool.  I suspect that the body of D developers at
any one time falls into those who are fairly new and haven't yet
faced many frustrations, and those who are now experts and
instinctively avoid problem areas. I suspect there is a great
deal of 'wastage' i.e. developers leaving, between those two
levels. Just a suspicion.

> *On the other hand,* we also don't really use DIP features. I
> think maybe this is a communications problem. In my experience,
> the parts of D that are released and have been used for a few
> major versions tend to be very stable and hard to change. So
> people see all the cool new things, @live, DIP1000, ImportC,
> and think that the language is still in flux. But the core
> functionality of the language, ranges, templates, constness
> etc. is and has been incredibly stable even since D1, so if you
> just ignore the rapidly mutating fringe you'll get exactly what
> you want - a stable, even too stable, subset.

Yes, it's likely a communications problem. I don't have the heart
or time to come back and try again, so I have to infer the
current status of D from the forums. The impression that I have
gained, and I suspect the same for other observers, is the one I
have recounted.

I don't know why I do it, but I read pretty much all the messages
in General and have done for many years. This is the impression I
have got.