Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 11:11:20 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 11:05:12 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 09:38:09 UTC, FeepingCreature
> wrote:
>> *On the other hand,* we also don't really use DIP features. I
>> think maybe this is a communications problem. In my
>> experience, the parts of D that are released and have been
>> used for a few major versions tend to be very stable and hard
>> to change. So people see all the cool new things, @live,
>> DIP1000, ImportC, and think that the language is still in
>> flux. But the core functionality of the language, ranges,
>> templates, constness etc. is and has been incredibly stable
>> even since D1, so if you just ignore the rapidly mutating
>> fringe you'll get exactly what you want - a stable, even too
>> stable, subset.
>
> Yes, it's likely a communications problem. I don't have the
> heart or time to come back and try again, so I have to infer
> the current status of D from the forums. The impression that I
> have gained, and I suspect the same for other observers, is the
> one I have recounted.
>
> I don't know why I do it, but I read pretty much all the
> messages in General and have done for many years. This is the
> impression I have got.

Yeah that makes sense. I think this is more an issue with General
than the language though; the debate tends to be centered on
controversial new features because that's what attracts
attention. I think that's part of why the DLF has dedicated
feedback talks with industry users, because otherwise it's very
easy for that signal to get lost in the noise.