Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:27:56 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 12:45:16 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> The current approach that is to introduce changes,
> incrementally "DIP driven"-ly,
> is more likely to result in finished features. To me,
> unfisnished D2 "new" features (e.g shared) are more a symptom
> of the poor managment and the poor methodology that drove D
> development 10 years ago.

I don't think DIPs constitute a method. It also doesn't work all
that great for other languages in my opinion. I think even Python
is aggregating bloat and complexity now that Guido took the hand
of the breaks. Bloat destroys good languages, over time.

You need some kind of structured loop(s), very sketchy:

1. gather information related to key use cases
2. analyse
3. rank and select key problem to be addressed
4. describe problem, ask for solution propositions (many)
5. analyse, evaluate, select
6. make experimental implementations
7. analyse, evaluate, go back to 3-6 if needed
8. make a release strategy (minor/major release)
9. implement, test
10. collect feedback from end users
11. analyse, evaluate, go back to 3-10 if needed
12. polish, deploy, go to 1

That is just for addressing pressing issues, and does not cover
strategic planning or quality assurance.