Future of memory management in D

JN 666total at wp.pl
Thu Nov 18 14:54:31 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 14:12:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 13:56:00 UTC, Atila Neves
> wrote:
>> And those feature would be...?
>
> I personally would like to see C++ compatible exceptions,
> lambdas, and coroutines (and build a D actor on top of that),
> but I am not saying it is critical or important. Those are just
> my personal instincts. Others might have other preferences that
> might be equally valid.
>
> I haven't thought a lot about the consequences, as I don't
> think it will happen anytime soon.

I don't know if C++ compatibility is a good direction. Most
modern languages try to distance themselves from C/C++ and only
offer C ABI interop for legacy software and popular libraries. D
always felt like trying to start from a clean slate and minimize
the dependencies on C/C++. By adding C++ compatibility, whether
we like it or not we will also inherit negative things that are
related with C++. D should stand on its own as a language, rather
than be a GC sidekick to make code that works with C++.

(ironically, languages which don't care about c++ interop at all
seem to have better bindings work with popular C++ projects such
as Qt or Bullet).