My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Nov 18 14:59:24 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 09:28:08 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 06:54:33 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>>
>> C folks like to manage their own memory and they get it wrong
>> most of the time.
>>

> god help us all, if that assertion is true. (which of course,
> it's not).
>
> 'some of the time', sure, even the best, but 'most of the
> time'.. that is hyperbole - except perhaps, in the case of
> novices.
>
> The tools we have available these days, to assist C
> programmers, is something to factored in when speaking about
> the C language.
>
> btw. C powers the world.
>
> https://www.toptal.com/c/after-all-these-years-the-world-is-still-powered-by-c-programming

Unfortunely,

"~70% of the vulnerabilities Microsoft assigns a CVE each year
continue to be memory safety issues"

https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2019/07/16/a-proactive-approach-to-more-secure-code/

"As part of our continuous commitment to improve the security of
the Android ecosystem, we are partnering with Arm to design the
memory tagging extension (MTE). Memory safety bugs, common in C
and C++, remain one of the largest vulnerabilities in the Android
platform and although there have been previous hardening efforts,
memory safety bugs comprised more than half of the high priority
security bugs in Android 9."

https://security.googleblog.com/2019/08/adopting-arm-memory-tagging-extension.html

C only powers the world, because lawsuits due to security
exploits still aren't a common practice in software like in other
industries, where liability is legally enforced.

The day this changes, C won't power anything for much longer.