Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 16:19:51 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 16:05:53 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:
> I'm here since a LONG time [1] and at that time pre D1 was
> already used in production.

Aye, I didn't look at the forums when I used D first. I am more
like Abdulhaq, interested, try out, interesting, but cannot use
it right now, take break, try it again, but cannot use it right
now... etc. I think this could be a quite common pattern for D
users (not on the forum).

> Walter pragmatic way of moving shined in the early stage, but
> early stage is the moment to experiment things. So you are

If you keep complexity in the design low then you can get quite a
long way by going by intuition based on experience, but once the
type system is starting to get complex intuition becomes
insufficient.

The challenge of language design increases in a nonlinear fashion
with ambition.

> D2 had a vision, the D Programming Language. Something went
> wrong with it, something went really really well, and I was for
> a long time on the "break the compatibility" bandwagon and "fix
> the language".
>
> Nowadays I agree with Adam, D is in a stagnant history phase,
> not that is bad (see Elm, for example), it's an opportunity,
> leverage it. Just stop experimenting, and go for D2 as LTS as
> it is.

Fair enough. I guess that is what Abdulhaq asked for.

For me personally, a language optimized for WASM would be nice,
but that might end up being another language than D. WASM will be
more important now that Safari also supports WebGL2, I think.
(online games etc)