My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Nov 18 17:52:44 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:59:24PM +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 09:28:08 UTC, forkit wrote:
[...]
> > btw. C powers the world.
> >
> > https://www.toptal.com/c/after-all-these-years-the-world-is-still-powered-by-c-programming
>
> Unfortunely,
>
> "~70% of the vulnerabilities Microsoft assigns a CVE each year
> continue to be memory safety issues"
>
> https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2019/07/16/a-proactive-approach-to-more-secure-code/
>
> "As part of our continuous commitment to improve the security of the
> Android ecosystem, we are partnering with Arm to design the memory
> tagging extension (MTE). Memory safety bugs, common in C and C++,
> remain one of the largest vulnerabilities in the Android platform and
> although there have been previous hardening efforts, memory safety
> bugs comprised more than half of the high priority security bugs in
> Android 9."
>
> https://security.googleblog.com/2019/08/adopting-arm-memory-tagging-extension.html
>
> C only powers the world, because lawsuits due to security exploits
> still aren't a common practice in software like in other industries,
> where liability is legally enforced.
>
> The day this changes, C won't power anything for much longer.

Exactly what I said.  The day will come when the world realizes just how
much of a liability an inherently-unsafe language is, and how much it's
costing businesses, and the tables will turn.

Being forced to write comments actually improves code, because it is easier to fix a crock than to explain it. -- G. Steele