Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:29:42 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 12:31:43 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:

> I don't think D is ready to be used by everyone for every
> purpose. But I think it's ready to be used by some for some
> purposes, and has been for a long time. Even by many for many
> purposes. I think the set of "customers that D is ready for" is
> badly communicated at the moment, but it is definitely
> non-empty. (Evidence one.)
>
> PS: I concur with the GC. I think this is one case where D
> majorly falls down, because it advertises as "you don't need to
> think about memory management" and if you take that seriously,
> you *will* get punished for it as you scale up input. You can't
> write D like Java, because D's GC is significantly less
> forgiving, but this is not communicated anywhere.
>
> PPS: 'shared' is one of those features that we've just elected
> to not touch with a ten foot pole. It does nothing useful for
> us; I believe I've had rants on the topic. :) Luckily, it's
> easy to pretend it doesn't exist.

This answer has improved my understanding of where D is at, thank
you. It's this information that is not coming over loud and clear
to me.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on GC vs nogc etc.,
etc. I do think that if the community could agree to differ on
these issues, state clearly what is fully supported and what
platforms it works **excellently** on, and commits to maintain
those features on those platforms at that level of excellence,
then numbers will pick up faster than they otherwise would.

Off the top of my head I'd also even consider making an LTS
release that had no preview options. Again just an observer's
perspective but it feels like with the various DIPs and previews
available that this causes an interoperability problem between
libraries. I'm happy to be corrected if that is not the case.