Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:43:57 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 18:20:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 06:03:07PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 17:59:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh
>> wrote:
>> > I'm seriously hoping Andrei pulls off stdv2, because that's
>> > the only way I see to move forward with Phobos.
>>
>> It's that or we fork the language and seize control then just
>> start actually fixing things.
>
> I have to say, the thought has crossed my mind a few times.
> Only thing is, this community is already so tiny, splitting it
> would probably mean death to both resulting dialects.
>
> Though on 2nd thoughts, forking *Phobos* could actually be
> viable... Even put it up on dub as a Phobos alternative and let
> the two compete, see which one survives.

Dlang is not alone [1], but at least Evan has strong motivations
behind that [2].

Forking, well ... Sociomantic tsunami (well, it was a *way*
different time period) or Weka mekka ...

I still think that the first thing to do is push for a language
cleanup, prior to start taking care of Phobos. Walter wandered
what happened with copyctor, aren't they supposed to solve some
critic low level problem paving the way to ...? The impression is
that nobody have the complete and sound design in mind (no pun),
but if such a case, removing complexity is better than adding. I
would rather fork the frontend, and start removing things, like
class alias this, shared, and (why not) start thinking if the
whole const/immutable things as it is worths the complexity it
brings in the codebase.

Again, my 2c ...

[1]
https://discourse.elm-lang.org/t/a-process-for-core-library-fixes-and-improvements/7916/17