My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:40:59 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 02:54:08 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 02:36:31 UTC, forkit wrote:
>> Each byte in memory has a unique address.
>
> This is not true and has never been true, at least in the x86
> world.

you're conflating memory addressing in hardware, and memory
addressing in software. I'm only interested in the software
abstraction (and even a description of the hardware addressing is
itself likely to be an abstraction).

The software abstraction is the lowest level I want to go. Which
is an array of addressable memory. I build on that. I don't need
to go any lower.

Ultimately, everything in the universe is an abstraction, at some
level or another.