My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 10:47:12 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 10:13:02 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> -- Dennis M. Ritchie on
> https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/chist.html
>
> Dennis knew what he created, C advocates to this day apparently
> not.

Thanks for the link! Important quote, take notice Boehm
GC-defenders:

**«C is hostile to automatic garbage collection.»**

HOSTILE! Nothing less. And I agree.

Another important quote:

*«As should be clear from the history above, C evolved from
typeless languages. It did not suddenly appear to its earliest
users and developers as an entirely new language with its own
rules; instead we continually had to adapt existing programs as
the language developed, and make allowance for an existing body
of code.»*

So, we are stuck with the flaws introduced by backwards
compatibility requirements of the 1970s in 2021. \*cheers\*

D should not be so concerned with breakage, just do D3 and get it
right.