Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 11:49:40 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 11:24:15 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 2021 at 18:05:38 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>> I just want to give a POV that I think can help lift the
>> number of users.
>
> _Doing things with D_ help lift the number of users.

D has enough users, but I project most of them are like Abdulhaq
and myself. They write D code occasionally in their hobbyspace
and would like to see a situation where you would choose D
because it is objectively the best choice. Right now D is not the
most rational choice, unless you do exactly what you do: write
your own foundation and extend the compiler with what you need
(like SIMD support). That is a lot to demand of others… So you
are very demanding in your attitude!

I've come to the conclusion that for me D will never move out of
hobbyspace (well, maybe if I write an audioplugin). That
conclusion made me happier about D!

Abdulhaq still dreams of using D outside his hobbyspace, but he
clearly cannot make a salespitch at his workplace by appealing to
emotions, he has to make a rational argument for it.

> No, this is just bullying, by people who enjoy doing just that.

You've bullied me repeatedly. I never bullied you. :-P Bullying a
technical construct and a development process is not a concept…
Hurting the compiler's self confidence or something?

For instance, let us return to the introduction of ```@nogc```.
If you read the DIP thread on that you'll see that Manu, Mike and
other low level coders were not enthusiastic. Manu wanted ARC at
the time. You know, a solid compiler backed memory management
solution. The survey from 2010 shows that nobody wanted
```-nogc``` as an option. The conclusion is that everybody that
use D wants managed memory backed by the compiler (some kind of
automatic memory management). ```@nogc``` does not satisfy that
need, it is more like an escape-hatch.

At the end of the day it comes down to wanting to write code that
is and looks beautiful.

You want this yourself. You want to get rid of the "@" in front
of attributes.

Aesthetics matter.

Aesthetics in memory management.
Aesthetics in semantics.
Aesthetics in syntax.

So when you go to bed you can go to sleep knowing that you
created something beautiful that day.

People want this from D. I think you do too.