My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:34:30 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 12:22:05 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> This is why D community should take care when celebrating
> designs in other languages like Objective-C and Swift's ARC.

Well, an Apple engineer did point out in this forum that one
could achieve better performance than Objective-C ARC, because of
the historic constraints Objective-C had to deal with.

Anyway, I am in favour of ARC for shared and local GC with actors
for non-shared. I think that model fits well with most D users
expect and also where hardware is heading.

It would also set D apart from the other alternatives.

> So beware when discussing what D should adopt from other
> languages, usually there is more to the whole story than just
> RC vs tracing GC.

D should not try to become another language. It must
differentiate itself by looking at the open positions in the
design space.

E.g. I am a bit torn by C++ compatibility. Yes, it is good for
indie game developers, but can also be very limiting. Very
difficult choice to make.