My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sat Nov 20 00:55:36 UTC 2021

On 20/11/2021 2:37 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 12:45:45 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>> I'm more in favor of ARC completely. Tie it into scope, and the
>> compiler can elide the calls. Add an operator overload so that you can
>> get a non-scope reference to memory and it might be a very nice
>> situation for us.
>
> That is more conventional, and in some sense easier because it is more
> homogeneous.
>
> I think some people will complain about performance, but I am not
> against it.

For system resources, I think this is the best way forward. Due to the
fact that threads actually matter here, and you really need to "free"
resources where they were allocated. But also allow references to leak
to other threads.

But yeah, a fiber aware GC that could clean things up as it goes along
would be absolutely amazing for stuff like web development.