My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 03:27:46 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 01:59:07 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

> On 20/11/2021 2:21 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 00:55:36 UTC, rikki
>> cattermole wrote:
>>> For system resources, I think this is the best way forward.
>>> Due to the fact that threads actually matter here, and you
>>> really need to "free" resources where they were allocated.
>>> But also allow references to leak to other threads.
>>
>> Yes. Regardless, ARC requires more compiler restructuring.
>
> To me ARC is just what we have now with a couple of compiler
> hooks. So it shouldn't need restructuring for this.

I had an idea for a LLVM hack, but Apple ARC engineers pointed
out that there were issues to me so I consider that to be
unworkable. Meaning: I trust their experience. So you have to do
it over a suitable high level IR. I don't think D has that... At
least not to my knowledge.