Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 12:06:35 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 11:09:35 UTC, zjh wrote:
> I hope `D` can solve `its own problems`.

Yes, if D ranks its own problems on a list and give them high
priority then they can be solved.

If weaknesses are brushed under the carpet, like having a
compiler that does not manage memory properly, then they can't
solve the problems.

But they should never complain that they lack manpower. I and
others with me warned strongly against not giving the highest
priority to compiler backed memory management over seven years
ago, and made it clear that other (then small) languages would
rob them of users and manpower. It was made very explicit, so
they knew, but ignored it. It was made clear repeatedly that this
outcome was easy to predict. People here think that is trolling.
The reality is that when many independently say it in these
forums then it is not noise, it is a very strong signal. Because
most users who feel the same, don't say it. So if 30 people say
it, then maybe 3000 feel it.

Take care, and have fun with D and other languages! You can use
as many as you like :-)