Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

workman workman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 13:55:51 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 12:06:35 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:

> Yes, if D ranks its own problems on a list and give them high
> priority then they can be solved.
>
> If weaknesses are brushed under the carpet, like having a
> compiler that does not manage memory properly, then they can't
> solve the problems.
>
> But they should never complain that they lack manpower. I and
> others with me warned strongly against not giving the highest
> priority to compiler backed memory management over seven years
> ago, and made it clear that other (then small) languages would
> rob them of users and manpower. It was made very explicit, so
> they knew, but ignored it. It was made clear repeatedly that
> this outcome was easy to predict. People here think that is
> trolling. The reality is that when many independently say it in
> these forums then it is not noise, it is a very strong signal.
> Because most users who feel the same, don't say it. So if 30
> people say it, then maybe 3000 feel it.
>
> Take care, and have fun with D and other languages! You can use
> as many as you like :-)

I agree with your option.

Few years ago I decide to give up on D runtime and Phobos, at
that time I believe it will take decade to match the need I want
to do with D.

One can still build ref count betterC with cross platform app,
but it is hard and not always get well support from here.  better
to move on to other language choice.

D want to be betterC, better C++/CLI, better Java.  It is better
at some point,  but not better if you want to made a product most
time.

C++/CLI JAVA is replace by GO/Rust in a lot new project/product,
there is so much companies refactor they product by GO or Rust.

C++/CLI, Java will not go away, but the market is smaller day by
day. D still try to eat this dying market cake, and not get a
bite yet.

Rust/GO is product oriented programming, D is NOT.