A motto for D

arco qva6y4sqi at relay.firefox.com
Sun Nov 21 00:41:56 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 22:49:50 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 16:46:23 UTC, Ben Jones wrote:
>> I put this in another thread, but "from prototype to(through?)
>> production"
>
> I still think this is the best one.
>
> "From prototype to production"

I don't think it's that good as a motto. A good motto should
serve two purposes:

1. Tell, in less than a single sentence, why the language is good
and why should people try it. "From prototype to production" is
too general and too abstract; at first glance people won't
understand what it means and when they do, they will ask "... And
why should I want to use the same language for prototype and for
production?"

2. It should serve as an overarching statement of what is the
language's goal. It should be possible to look at proposed
features or improvements and ask yourself, how does this proposal
help to achieve the motto's goals?

Rudy's "Empowering everyone to write reliable and efficient
software" is too long, not catchy enough, but it is descriptive
and it gives a general direction.