Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 21:38:57 UTC 2021

On Monday, 22 November 2021 at 08:55:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> It wasn't a mistake for C++ to be compatible with C, but their
> users also don't crave automatic memory management.

For the time, perhaps not. But in hindsight, all C++ did, was to
'add onto' a language that provided very little in terms of
safety guarantees.

D is inheriting all of that too, while adding on to it.

A lot of the code in the future, will need formal safety
guarantees, and at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if
countries start passing legislation to mandate this (well, they
already do this in some industries anyway).

D cannot provide such guarantees.. and will never be in a
position to do so.

I suppose what I'm getting at, is D really a language I'd
recommend to the CIO?

Or is it just nice to play around with.

I'd say that latter, in which case.. (to get back on topic).. who
really cares when D2 is finished ;-)