Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

arco qva6y4sqi at relay.firefox.com
Wed Nov 24 06:28:35 UTC 2021

> * Worst features implemented in a non-toy language

* C: zero-terminated strings
* Python 3: Metaclasses (they violate the philosophy of Python
that code should be explicit, obvious and not "clever")
* C++: where to start...
* Java: the int/Integer (and similar) duality, made even worse by
automatic boxing/unboxing
* Still Java: Generic types erasure

> * Worst features (in your opinion) in D

I never really used D for anything beyond simple toy programs,
but from reading about it it doesn't seem to have any truly
egregious features as such apart from autodecoding. The main
problem that I see is that everything is kind of half-baked,
unfinished, features get added in a pursuit of the
Great-Opportunity-of-the-week but they don't work coherently
together.