My Long Term Vision for the D programming language

Gleb gleb.tsk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:23:22 UTC 2021

Gentlemen, good afternoon.
Let me make a couple of comments.
I think D is an excellent language for rapid development and I am
trying to
popularize it here in this vein.

This year I (suddenly) resumed my education
(second grade) and suddenly found myself as old experienced dude
in a young student environment.

Tasks to be solved include programming. D ideally lie on almost
all occasions.
It would seem that we are going "forward and upward". But ...
There are several
stoppers at once.

First of all, the GUI and huge difficulties (for a student ---
not a professional programmer, but only a programming user) to
draw the GUI
elements.
The data plotter window on D is an almost insoluble problem for a
student.

There are no full-fledged signals --- slots with the ability to
exchange
data between threads (in the style of Qt) => whole familiar
sections
immediately drop out.

In general, the absence of bindings to Qt and the
laboriousness of creating bindings to ordinary libraries is
already a huge
stopper.

Async? Oops.

Finally, the situation, that most of the packages in the
dub registry are simply not compilable by the current versions of
the compilers
(at least, without the shamanic dances with "depercated". It's
inaccessible to the
average student).

IMHO, I would like to draw the first attention to this, then
the spread of the language could follow the same path as Python
in the recent
past. From students to experienced peoples.

Automatically and successfully.