Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 08:41:55 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 21:59:59 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:

> I think this overstating the issue.
> Not-yet-enthusiatic-but-interested people may be using D, but
> not for anything that they will commit to long term.
>
> You need more of those to be enthusiastic in order to get
> frameworks built. You cannot make them enthusiastic without
> addressing the issues they have.

And the issue is, how do we know what REALLY makes then
enthusiastic. You have been saying we pay too little attention to
not-that-specific complaining. And I strongly doubt that claim.

> Early C++ compilers were buggy. Not a good example. Just a fun
> anecdote. (Even g++ was quite buggy for a very long time.)

That isn't his only anecdote on the subject. The post in full:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/pmktna$1hgo$1@digitalmars.com . Also
he is quoting Laeeth who is saying just the same.

Now, it's still anecdotal experience so perhaps you can show them
both wrong, if you have something real credible to back that up.
If.

> You should of course polish your product!
>
> However, it is generally negative to add a long series of
> "improvements" to scratch some enthusiastic individual's itch
> and become slightly better at something you already have
> covered. You gain more from extending into areas that you do
> not cover well.
>
> What would happen if the most enthusiastic C# or TypeScript
> users were given the freedom to add new cool features? The
> languages would eventually fail to appeal to any other group
> than the most enthusiastic ones.

We're talking about attitude towards non-specific, unactionable
or nearly unactionable forum ranting. It's not like only
die-hards would be specific when they raise issues.