DIP1000: Walter's proposal to resolve ambiguity of ref-return-scope parameters

Greg Strong mageofmaple at protonmail.com
Fri Nov 26 01:48:29 UTC 2021

On Friday, 26 November 2021 at 01:28:25 UTC, zjh wrote:
> I've been saying, offer options, rather than the only
> one.`(||/&&)` or `and|or` is provided.
> Both `simplified symbols and complete words` are provided for
> users to choose.
> Of course, it's best to complete the attribute deduction by
> compiler, and the user doesn't have to write it at all.

I disagree with everything you just wrote.

1.  Adding more redundant options does not make the situation
better.

2.  The point of the attribute declarations (@safe for example)
is to tell the compiler what you want it to be so that it can
stop and give you an error if you are wrong.  Having it deduce
@safe only if it is actually safe accomplishes nothing.