DIP1000: Walter's proposal to resolve ambiguity of ref-return-scope parameters

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 09:36:22 UTC 2021

On Friday, 26 November 2021 at 09:19:45 UTC, Araq wrote:
> & vs ref is just one of the many things that C++ does better
> than D. And I'm not talking about the syntax: What is a
> "storage class"? And assuming this terms means anything, why
> would "ref" be one? In what world is a hidden pointer a
> "storage class"?

C++ has storage classes too. `auto` and `static`, perhaps others
I can't immediately recall. D adds `ref`, `__gshared`, `enum` and
`lazy` on top of those. `const`, `shared` and `immutable` can be
syntactically used as storage classes, but in reality they just
alias to `auto` or `__ghared` and add a type qualifier at the
same time.