Is there an intention to 'finish' D2?

BoraxMan rotflol2 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 01:12:21 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 15:06:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 19 November 2021 at 14:05:17 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> Part of the problem here, I think, is that people are more
>> strongly motivated to speak up about their opinions when there
>> is something they are unsatisfied with. So discussions like
>> this will be biased towards the things people don't like about
>> D, even if they are relatively happy with the language overall.
>
> Actually, the *biggest* problem for the decision makers of D is
> that the average person who does use D from time to time never
> speaks up about what they are happy/unhappy with. So there is a
> big silent majority.
>
> I didn't read the D forums for years. Random incident that I
> did. I only started to write here because Manu tried to argue
> for a direction that would make D better for systems
> development. So I wanted to back him. If Manu had not been
> persistent in his quest, then I'd probably would have put D
> back in the drawer for good.
>
> It is of course possible to continue to make decisions based on
> the tiny hardcore that populate the forums, but then you won't
> have an ecosystem. And well, what is the point of having
> powerful meta-programming if there are no frameworks (except
> vibe.d) that are built with it?

Another "silent majority" here.  I do some hobby programming, and
while I like D the main barrier isn't the language but the way
the language fits in with the OS (for me its Linux).

For D, there is this guide to packaging for Fedora
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/D/
but it said that D doesn't support shared libraries and as an
exception, static linking is OK.  Is this even correct?  It does
answer my other question, should I link using GDC or LDC.  Also,
if I use DUB, how does that work?  What is the process then?

This link implies you can create shared libraries
https://dlang.org/articles/dll-linux.html

Aside from the actual language, people are looking to see how the
use of that language, the tools, fit in with the systems they are
developing for.  My choice of language isn't simply about the
language, but how it builds actual distributed software.  Best
practices for how to create software.

For example, I've looked at Tilix, and noted that it uses libgtkd
and LDC, and a dub.json file.  It would be good to know the ins
and outs, what you should do, what you shouldn't do, to say, make
a Linux software package that can be built into a .DEB and .RPM.
Can it be done if dub has to download dependencies?  How to
package?

It might seem trivial, but there are the little things that I
think make a difference.  I might write posts about this myself
when I know that advice I'm giving is good advice.