DIP1000: Walter's proposal to resolve ambiguity of ref-return-scope parameters

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 04:48:48 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 04:20:57 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 03:41:05 UTC, Paul Backus
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 01:17:15 UTC, zjh wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Actually, I got the idea from Python. :)
>>
>> Why do I think it's a good idea? Because it makes it really
>> obvious which attributes apply to `this` and which attributes
>> apply to the function as a whole.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I have been mumbling to myself about this for a while. I think
> it's a fundamentally better way of expressing the attribute
> soup.
>
> Can we actually switch? Not sure...

I don't know about "switch", but we can certainly add the new
syntax as an optional alternative to the current version. Most
likely the original syntax will never entirely go away, though,
just like the original `alias old new;` syntax, so the real
question is whether having both is better than just having the
current version.