[OT] What are D's values?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:01:31 UTC 2021

On Monday, 4 October 2021 at 22:15:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> What are your experiences with this?

I find code that does Design by Introspection tends to be very
resilient to additions, modifications, and removals.

For example, I have a library that makes heavy use of
introspection, and I completely changed the way the introspection
was being handled without having to touch the way the user code
was designed.

This was done without breakage (well... there was one break due
to a language limitation), and with very minor behavioral
differences. It was definitely quite magical.

Adding things is as simple as making a new UDA, slapping in some
glue code for the introspect layer, and then applying it where
relevant.

Modifications don't really break anything unless the UDA itself
is changed.

Removals technically don't break much since the user part of the
code is just ignored and non-functional now.

DbI can be pretty awesome.