[OT] What are D's values?

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 23:26:14 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 20:12:07 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Monday, 4 October 2021 at 23:10:27 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>>
>> Even the d-idioms website doesn't have much.
>>
>> Any text sources would be really appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you for reading!
>
> The construction of the allocator library in
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIb3L4vKZ7U is really quite the
> lesson.
>
> Also "Functional image processing in D":
> https://blog.cy.md/2014/03/21/functional-image-processing-in-d/
>
> With all the good thing that _can_ be said about DbI, I don't
> think it is a defining feature of D. After using
> ae.utils.graphics for years, I turned 180° and now think
> generic programming typically get a few problems:
> - it's a bit remote from problem domains, meaning a bit less
> readable code, a bit harder to write, a bit longer to
> compile... in exchange for the expanded capabilities and
> genericity
> - the problem of having less specific identifiers
> - the problem of typically having poor information-hiding.
> Probably the idea was that the software artifact is so generic,
> it has to be made public. Leading to too much being public.

So apart from the plasticity that others mention, why do you feel
D is better than the alternatives out there for your field of
work?

Why do you continue to walk the path less travelled when others
enjoy the advantages of mainstream languages like better tooling
and greater stability, ie, fewer/no breaking changes with each
release(and disadvantages like various janky workarounds for
backwards compatibility, deigns/ideological constraints, etc)?