[OT] What are D's values?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 20:12:49 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 7 October 2021 at 13:29:34 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> First of all:
> - They are very different universe; you really do live in a
> different universe when full-time. The culture is completely
> different.

Interesting! How do D and C++ cultures differ?

> Tools in C++ are not much better for me (cmake vs dub, what
> would you really prefer?), build times are usually worse,
> compilers are also kinda crashy, STL is a lot less usable than
> Phobos. Would you rather read C++ or D all day long? Honestly.

Wow, are modern C++ compilers crashy *when compared to D*? I
definitely agree that D compilers nowadays are more than stable
enough for production, but do they really rival the most common
C++ ones? And is this when using recent C++ features or also with
older codebases?

> Different, incompatible syntax to do things in different
> vendors. You absolutely do more backwards compatibility
> shenanigans in C++, if only because the standard advance so
> quickly, and the stdlib are made differently - at different
> stages of the newest standard.

To be fair this is probably because all the widely used D
compilers have the same frontend. If SDC was in production too it
would be a fairer comparison.

> And C++ is also a bad learning investment for anyone, since you
> cannot learn C++ as fast as the Standard Comittee makes
> changes. D changes a lot less and you can learn it in 3x less
> time. Practionners then get the strangest Stockholm syndrom and
> take pride in knowing C++ minutiae like if it mattered.

More news for me, if you really mean that. C++ does add features
fast for such an old language. But changing faster than D,
considering they tend to keep the old features around where we
deprecate them? Really?

> The real question is: why start a green C++ project today
> instead of D. Apart from: staffing, specific platforms, or
> legacy I don't think the positives outweight the negatives.

I sign that one (to surprise of none I guess).