[OT] What are D's values?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Oct 7 22:21:21 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 7 October 2021 at 22:07:13 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:

> Yes really, it is very difficult to keep up with the C++
> changes even if you were a full-time C++ programmer. And you
> need to since people start to use the new stuff when available.
> It is very likely that when the next standard comes out, you
> would have barely assimilated the one from 10 years ago. C++
> needs a cast of "explainers" like Scott Meyers.

I've given up on C++ unless it is embedded programming. C++ is
still ok for embedded but since you don't use much from the
standard library, it looks more like C++11 or before that, not
much change with another words.

I expect to use less C++ for embedded as time goes by as well.

Many of the changes in "modern C++" are made for application
programming and library improvements. The problem is that today
if you are going to do application programming there are a myriad
of better alternatives, D is one of them.

The last application programming projects I worked on
professionally with C++ have just been a pain. It was so obvious
that despite all the "modern improvements", C++ cannot compete
anymore. Also since there are dozens of ways to do the same thing
in C++, the code becomes very inconsistent.

The question is, should you invest a lot of time learning C++?
Both yes and no. C++ and C is still lowest common denominator
when it comes to APIs and FFIs. Learn C++ so that you understand
moderate amount. Learning C++ to become a meta programming wizard
would be a waste of time, for me at least. That would be huge
investment of time that I don't think is worth it. Better
alternatives exists.