[OT] What are D's values?

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:48:24 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 7 October 2021 at 21:59:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Speaking for myself only here:
>
> (1) I have very little concern about walking less travelled
> paths; IME popularity does not correlate with quality.
> Javascript is one of the most popular languages out there, but
> from a design perspective it's trash. No real OO, you fake it
> with prototypes (or whatever it is they call 'em), fragile
> error handling, tons of WATs (== vs ===, weird implicit
> conversions between strings, integers, floats, etc.), debugging
> is a royal pain.[*]  The only reason JS is still afloat is
> because its disproportionate popularity draws in enough
> manpower to barrel through problems.  On the contrary,
> better-designed languages tend to be the less popular ones.

Yeah JS is a royal pain, but now TS has become a true
alternative. The shops that are stuck with JS for some reason are
stuck with it; but I think we should now compare with TS if we
will ever talk about web stuff, since practically all new
projects start with TS now.

> (2) I have all the tooling I need for efficient work with D
> (vim +
> compiler + Unix shell == yeahhh).  Though I understand I'm in
> the far
> minority on this point. :-D

Same here :D

> (3) Breaking changes with each release happens not just with D.
> I have some very old C++ projects dating from the 90's, and I
> can tell you that trying to get them to compile with a modern
> compiler is an exercise in pain.  The only reason people don't
> complain about this very much is because D releases much more
> frequently than C++.  Janky workarounds for C++ code are pretty
> much so widely-accepted that you don't even think twice, you
> just insert const casts everywhere, insert compiler switches to
> suppress errors/warnings, use macro hacks to patch over stuff
> just for Mt Cesuaga (Making That Compile Error Shut Up And Go
> Away), etc.. By comparison, D workarounds are a walk in the
> park.

I think C++ has more robust backwards compatibility. The latest
(mainstream) C++ compiler(s) can easily compile code written in
2010. But I doubt the latest D compilers can do so.

Sure, it might get painful if we go 20 years behind, but C++ is
still better in that department, in D you can't even imagine
having that degree of support(yet, hopefully).

> (4) Ideological constraints: I find D the most liberating in
> this respect, actually. Javascript forces you to fake things
> like OO with its weird backwards prototype-based ideology, Java
> constrains you to shoehorn the most unlikely things into
> OO-sanctioned constructs, and both Java and C# force you to
> endure a watered-down generics system because full-on
> template-style generics are considered "too dangerous" for the
> unwashed masses to consume (don't even get me start on Go,
> which doesn't even have generics), leading to boilerplate
> galore; functional languages force you to rephrase the simplest
> of imperative constructs in a functional guise, etc..  With D,
> I can choose the best paradigm for the problem at hand without
> needing to pay lip service to some ideological ideal that
> doesn't actually map well to the problem domain. OO when I need
> OO, functional when I need functional, bare pointers and asm
> for when I need to go under the hood to solder wires together,
> so to speak.

Yeah, but you don't think that could lead to inconsistencies?
Like the other languages are subscribed to a specific paradigm so
certain constructs might appear unnatural, but atleast they might
be _consistently_ unnatural? I hope our flexibility doesn't
result in `perl` style only-I-can-read-my-code, but actually goes
closer to `python`'s there-should-be-only-one-way-to-do-it.

> Of course, that's not to say D doesn't have its own set of
> problems. But in comparison with the other languages I've
> experienced so far, D has the least of the problems in exchange
> for the most of the benefits.
>

> //
>
> ([*] Once, I had the misfortune of having a complex,
> ill-maintained JS project dumped on my lap at work. Most bugs
> in that code manifested themselves in a blank page with no
> other traces of the problem.  The browser's debug console was
> useless because somebody "helpfully" installed an exception
> catcher that deliberately swallows errors. Worse yet, one of
> our support targets at the time was IE6, which did NOT have a
> debug console at all. It was a lot of "fun" debugging problems
> specific to IE.  JS is indeed the epitome of a popular language
> with better tooling and greater stability.\</sarcasm>)

Eeeek D: